Jazzy Symposium Ideas

OK, Volcano panel: I just thought of the perfect way to “jazz up” your presentation with some theme music:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/IjGHwGkFIFw" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Not only is this song hilariously bad, but you could totally unpack all the vagina as volcano imagery in the lyrics.  Seriously, check out some of these gems:

Now, I don’t know, I don’t know where I’m a gonna go
when the volcano blow.
Let me say it now,
I don’t know, I don’t know where I’m a gonna go
when the volcano blow.

Clearly this is all about the anxiety that patriarchal figures (like Jimmy Buffet and Ezra Pound) experience when they think about volcanic vaginas.

Ground, she movin’ under me.
Tidal waves out on the sea.
Sulphur smoke up in the sky.
Pretty soon we learn to fly

He refers to the volcano as “she”!!! It makes tidal waves!!! it smells like sulphur!!! You can’t make this stuff up!

My girl quickly say to me,
“Mon you better watch your feet.”
Lava come down soft and hot.
“You better lava me now or lava me not”

Karl, I’ll let you take this one.

Also another idea: it’d be really awesome if someone wanted to sing a volcano poem in hymn meter.   Or even better, I could make up some volcanic vagina-y lyrics in hymn meter, and you could sing those.  I could even accompany you on ukelele (well, sort of)  if you wanted too.  Singers, let me know if you’re interested.

7 Comments, Comment or Ping

1. Claire

I adore the way your mind works.

April 16th, 2011

2. Meg

This is brilliant. I was also thinking about that “Hot, Hot, Hot”song. It was the theme to a movie about volcanoes I had to watch in science class once and was (of course) terribly inappropriate.

April 16th, 2011

3. Gracie

im illegally downloading this and putting down as the first song for my own personal edhd playlist

April 16th, 2011

4. mscanlon

I’m getting hives.

April 18th, 2011

5. Alyssa Dandrea

Scanlon, you just made me LOL

April 18th, 2011

6. You all are wonderful. I will really miss this class.

Especially Ryan bestowing much desired Goldifish upon me at 4:00 in the morning before getting the hell out of Dodge.

April 28th, 2011

7. Christine

You guys I’m in my E.D 2.0 ( the graduate edition) class right now (Not as good as our class because you all are geniuses and Scanlon is the greatest) and I almost burst out laughing while reading this and had to hide behind my Franklin. Whoops.

Miss you all to pieces.

September 21st, 2011