H.D.’s London home

With some help from Scanlon, I found H.D.’s house in Mecklenburg Square this summer. It’s in a very quiet part of London, literally. There was hardly anyone around and almost no traffic. It was bizarre but wonderful. It’s currently a private residence and I am sure costs about one million pounds more now than it did when H.D. lived there. As the sign notes, she lived in London during the latter years of World War One, and I’m interested to see if that had any influence on her work.

(Ultra-dorky confession time: After I took this picture, I (very quietly, so as not to scare the mailman walking by) said to myself “One I love, two I love, three I love. I don’t really love now anybody,” my favorite line from HERmione)

2 Comments, Comment or Ping

1. mscanlon

I don’t believe you revealed that last bit to me before! I LOVE it. Not ultra-dorky at all: you are earning your stripes as an excellent literary tourist, Clare.

January 13th, 2011

2. cttuley

My apologies! I was super-emotional that week since it was my last in London, so my thoughts were a little scattered when I posted the pictures to the Womb.

January 14th, 2011