Thursday Poems. Woo hoo.

If you want to read, indicate that in a comment below.  Guido, you can take the first slot.

I like Matt’s idea about including letters, since the interrogation of genre is important to our study of ED and also just because they’re lovely.  One possibility (of many) would be to start with ED’s initial letter to Higginson in which she asks him to say if her verses are alive.  You could progress by dates, or by thematic/imagistic resonance.  You should decide if you want to end on an up note or a shiver.  You should decide if you want any commentary within the reading.

Sarah S. could sing to start or finish, yes?  I happen to know that Meg sings also even though she’s never done it for us.

22 Comments, Comment or Ping

1. sdelaney

which Thursday will this be?

February 4th, 2011

2. cttuley

I’ll read! I would love to do one of the letters, but I’m up for anything.

February 4th, 2011

3. sarahsmile

yeah i’m up for singing. some help would be lovely MEG wink wink nod nod

don’t know if everyone notice the tags for this post but yes, the guido should dance. in a white dress. interpretively.

February 4th, 2011

4. mscanlon

Feb 10– next week, at 5.

February 4th, 2011

5. Meg

I have to double check with my boss if I can come since I have off for the JEW concert Wednesday. But I should be able to come and then just go back to work after.

Additionally, Scanlon, that was a particularly salty comment. I’m not doing anything musical unless Guido reads. Several times.

February 5th, 2011

6. Matthew

I’ll read anything but I definitely want to read a poem.

February 5th, 2011

7. karl

I would love to read too! Should we choose poems individually or decide as a group? Also, how many poems would be appropriate if we were to choose ourselves?

February 5th, 2011

8. Meg

When we read for Copo, there were 10-15 of us and we all got to read at least 3 pieces. Perhaps we should go ahead and start calling poems/letters/what have you now (on the blog, I mean), so that we can try to avoid calling the same ones. Then before class on Tuesday we can put ourselves in some kind of order?

February 6th, 2011

9. Meg

Guido would also like everyone to know that she won’t read, as “every time she gets up to read in front of people, she’s killing a little piece of her soul.” So do with that what you will.

February 6th, 2011

10. mscanlon

But will she DANCE?

February 6th, 2011

11. stefany

The only way I would dance is if it was behind a door.

February 6th, 2011

12. Samantha Daniel

Can it be river-dance? If so I will totally accompany her in this lofty quest.

February 6th, 2011

13. I can read/clap/play keyboard drums while Guido dances, if need be. Also, I’ve got dibs on #14, 320, and 477.

February 7th, 2011

14. Claire

I’m not a talented river-dancer, but I can twirl very gracefully, or so I like to think.

And since Ryan started a trend, I’m going to go ahead and call 194 and 347

February 7th, 2011

15. karl

I would love to read #’s: 62, 128, 255, and if we are permitted a fourth 269 (to show ED’s racy side!)

February 7th, 2011

16. I’d love to read 🙂

February 7th, 2011

17. Meg

Dibs on 448, 393, 379, and if we get a fourth, 373. Is anybody planning on reading from “Letters?”

February 8th, 2011

18. Alyssa Dandrea

I’d like to read 512, 407, 80, 423……or a letter maybe but I’m just not sure which one.

February 8th, 2011

19. Matthew

I’ll read two master letters!

February 8th, 2011

20. Christine

Dang it Matt! I’ll read a master letter as well. I’d like to read 459. I think that poem 380 could be a nice transition from letters to poetry.

February 8th, 2011

21. Gracie

imma goona read.

February 8th, 2011

22. sarahsmile

February 8th, 2011