Dreaming

Last night I had the most beautiful dream about our seminar. We were all in class listening to Jim Groom blab about computers and junk, and we were sitting in our normal circle only this time is wasn’t misshapen, it was perfect. While JG was talking, Scanlon was trying to also teach us a lesson about God or spirituality or ourselves or ED or something or all of it maybe–I’m not sure. I have a feeling it was all related. Anyway, she came around to each of us and put her arms around us from behind and squeezed our rib cages three times and whispered something in our ears while she did so.  I don’t know if she said the same thing to all of us, but I get the feeling it was.  I remember when it was my turn and she did the rib squeeze thing, it was like she was helping me breathe, forcing me to take a whole bunch of air into my lungs and then easing it out again. She said, “Now do you understand?” And I guess I did in the dream. I guess we all did. We all agreed it was a great lesson. Then Scanlon and Sarah S. started singing ED poems and Matt had a ukelele and someone kept laughing and then Scanlon said “Open your eyes!” and I woke up………….

I should also mention that a few nights ago I had a dream…nope, a nightmare really, that I was forced to join the Faulkner seminar. FORCED. I was so upset and then relieved when I woke up.

13 Comments, Comment or Ping

1. Alyssa, I think you may be on to something. Check the first dude’s comment on this post:

http://williamfaulkner.umwblogs.org/2011/01/25/is-christopher-nolan-the-cinematic-william-faulkner/

Clearly, he’s growing too powerful. Short of taking him out with a lil sectumsemperuh spell, I’m not sure what more I can do.

February 7th, 2011

2. Claire

This post is beautiful, Alyssa. And now I’m angry that I never have literature or Scanlon-themed dreams.

February 7th, 2011

3. Alyssa,

I do not blab, I preach the good word while your hippie instructor gives you all the unheimlich maneuver !

February 8th, 2011

4. mscanlon

1) Whatever, Jimmy Groom.

2) Alyssa, I have had to trash your comment since it gave away crucial classified information about Severus Snape. But I will repeat your primary response here; CREEP CITY. And no kidding, girl. It is clear that the power of the first dude is growing and he MUST BE STOPPED.

3) Severus, the SS curse is too gory. In my opinion, what is needed is an Imperius Curse. Then we’ll see how that seminar prospers. (insert evil laugh)

4) This dream is so lovely that it nearly moved me to tears. Thank you, sweetie.

February 8th, 2011

5. OMG

People are reading our Faulkner is a BAMF blog! Thanks for jumping our readership!

Faulkner is a BAMF and chillin’ like a villain, so what is Emily Dickinson?

February 8th, 2011

6. Matthew

A ukelele? Awesome.

February 8th, 2011

7. Gracie

beautiful.

i hope matt was wearing a hawaian flower necklace–no idea how to spell those.

February 8th, 2011

8. sarahsmile

gracie: lei.

oh em gee (what are you, 12?): emily dickinson does not need to resort to cheap acronyms involving profanity to assert her superiority. she simply IS.
    she also doesn’t need to rhyme.

February 8th, 2011

9. Alyssa Dandrea

@OMG

If any of us frequent your “blog,” it’s only a friendly check up on our fellow seminar “scholars.”

To say that ED is not also a BAMF, if not more so, is a very serious misunderstanding on your part, dear commenter. In fact, ED is so bad ass that she was known as the Myth of Amherst in her time. Like a super-human, she stayed up in her sweet ass house churning out brilliant piece after brilliant piece in insanely short amounts of time…..while your man was out binge drinking and slutting it up. Not so much myth and mystery there, huh?

Oh, and if you didn’t understand the quotation marks, that was a favorite technique of ED’s in her poetry. She often used them to highlight sarcasm.

P.S. Here’s a darling poem that Faulkner once wrote:

If there be grief, then let it be but rain,
    And this but silver grief for grieving’s sake,
    If these green woods be dreaming here to wake
    Within my heart, if I should rouse again.

But I shall sleep, for where is any death
    While in these blue hills slumbrous overhead
    I’m rooted like a tree? Though I be dead,
    This earth that holds me fast will find me breath.

Isn’t it cute how he tries?

February 8th, 2011

10. Wasn’t Faulkner’s nickname “Count no-count” ?

February 8th, 2011

11. Aw Alyssa, it is cute how he tries.

I hope his seminar is better than his poetry! (but who could tell if they’re all wasted anyway?)

February 9th, 2011

12. Ike Snopes

Thanks for showcasing Faulkner’s poetry. When will you post Emily Dickinson’s twenty novels?

February 9th, 2011

13. sarahsmile

After we finish laughing at Faulkner. It could take a while, you understand.

On that subject, where are Wittle Billy’s 1,789 poems? Surely he could produce at least that many in his perpetually drunken state…

February 9th, 2011