ENWOMB

Okay, hear me out.

Today I heard (via Foss via Rafferty) that someone defaced at least one of the posters for our Thursday Poems reading by writing something like “Faulkner Rules” across it (or possibly also “Dickinson Sucks”– sorry for the rumors, I haven’t seen it myself).  I have a few responses.

1) Extremely uncool.  Reading this, Faulkner lover?  That’s incredibly disrespectful of Dr. Lorentzen who runs the series, the student aide who makes the posters, and my superb class for having the guts and giving the time to stand up and read for the enjoyment of all.  It’s not funny and you should be ashamed.

2) I love Faulkner.  Til the end of my days I am unlikely to forget the August I first read Absalom, Absalom! and could barely swim out of the prose and the humidity alike.  The Sound and the Fury is brilliant.  I could weep right now thinking about Sarty in “Barn Burning,” a child character I adore as much as I cringe from his tin father.  Seriously, people, the man could write.  He was a personal wreck and his poems are crap.  Given.  But his prose…

3) Today I decided to advise that we turn away.  Competitiveness and one-up-man-ship  is exactly the kind of masculinist, empty ideology our bad ass poets reject in favor of community, nurture, intimacy.  Do we have to have those with the other seminar?  Hell no. But we already have them together.  We know Dickinson is a genius, we know we have a wonderful collective of minds, we know we love our baked goods and our pins and our hats and our track suit plans.

ENWOMB.

9 Comments, Comment or Ping

1. Alyssa Dandrea

You speak mad truth, Scanlon. I’m down with the womb. RISE ABOVE AND STUFF!

Also, we’re all Combs people in the end…..we should really be hating on those freaky Jepson kids anyway.

Joking!

….mostly.

February 10th, 2011

2. Claire

Well said, Scanlon! I think it’s time for a detente. I’m sure that ED and Faulkner would find this all back-and-forth very boring.

(Confession time: I did a 15-minute speech on “A Rose For Emily” in IB English and I still love that short story, which is saying a lot)

February 10th, 2011

3. rachaeltaylor

Maybe we should pool our money and buy them a coffin as a gesture of goodwill?

No, but really it is sad that it has come to this.

February 10th, 2011

4. sarahsmile

Seriously. poking a bit of fun blog-to-blog makes things interesting–but vandalism? that’s just immature.

we should bake them gingerbread. maybe. don’t know if i’m there yet. or like a cake with ED and faulkner holding hands.

February 10th, 2011

5. Claire

I really like the cake idea! I got very good at outlining pictures in frosting over Christmas break. Give me a pastry bag and a picture of Faulkner and ED holding hands and that cake could become a reality.

February 10th, 2011

6. mscanlon

Actually, I want that cake myself. Or ED and HD holding hands, better yet.

We don’t have to make up to them, though we can. But we have to quit allowing ourselves to feel attacked and competitive, draw inward and be happy.

February 10th, 2011

7. I like to recognize that the Faulkner kids are engaged in the same exercise that we are–approaching a genius whose command of language is humbling and trying to understand that person, her or his thoughts, writing and self. I respect those students and their instructor, but I also recognize the humiliation and the kind of fear and misunderstanding of what learning and a community like the university really are when one resorts to vandalism.

I’m glad that I didn’t know about this prior to going into Thursday Poems today. As it was I thought that we all kicked ass in there and got to celebrate one of the greatest poets who ever lived, and I think Dr. Richards was sitting there in the back to do the same thing. I think a little competition can be healthy and beneficial when directed in the right areas, but the pettiness that it has gotten to is disgraceful to both parties.

Let us all enwomb, basking in the divine substance that is contained in Faulkner’s brilliant prose and Dickinson’s illustrious poems!

February 11th, 2011

8. Oh, and the cake sounds phenomenal. Either idea–or both.

February 11th, 2011

9. I like the cake idea! However, I would like to point out that a picture ED and HD holding hands would be a great start to our t-shirt/track suit. Just sayin’. That would be wonderfully womby.

February 11th, 2011